[Lustre-discuss] querying a MGS

Andreas Dilger adilger at sun.com
Mon Sep 15 14:22:54 PDT 2008

On Sep 15, 2008  06:02 -0400, Mag Gam wrote:
> Hmm, where can I start looking into that? I would like to do this. I
> can contribute to the Wiki :-)

The code used by the liblustre mount (lustre/lib/lustre/super.c) would be
the place to start for a userspace solution.  That said, I don't know that
this is trivial work.

You would likely be much better off to do something like ssh over to
the MGS node and look at the /proc/fs/lustre/mgs/MGS/live/ directory
to list the currently available filesystems.

> On Mon, Sep 15, 2008 at 2:27 AM, Andreas Dilger <adilger at sun.com> wrote:
> > On Sep 14, 2008  11:39 -0400, Mag Gam wrote:
> >> Is it possible to query a MGS by a client who does not have a lustre
> >> filesystem mounted? I am trying to find out what filesystems are being
> >> hosted on a particular MGS without trying to mount on a client. Is
> >> that possible?
> >
> > Not currently.  It would be possible to write a small piece of code
> > do that.  There isn't a requirement for a "mounted" filesystem, since
> > Lustre itself uses the MGC->MGS connection to retrieve the configuraion
> > data it needs to do the mount.

Sr. Staff Engineer, Lustre Group
Sun Microsystems of Canada, Inc.