[Lustre-discuss] Lustre 1.6.4.3 install/upgrade problem

Heald, Nathan T. nheald at indiana.edu
Tue Sep 23 14:55:15 PDT 2008

Hi,
I am trying to get lustre 1.6 running on my test cluster (RHEL4) but am running into problems. I was originally trying to upgrade this from Lustre 1.4.10 to 1.6.4.3 and was getting this error when upgrading the mds (Have not touched the oss nodes yet). Then I decided to do a fresh format of the mdt device (Lustre 1.6 install rather than upgrade - page 4.2.1.2 in the Lustre manual), still getting the same error. Before performing the upgrade I removed all Lustre 1.4 rpm's and installed the 1.6 rpm's and upgraded my kernel to match my Lustre 1.6 rpm's. I ran this to make a new filesystem on the mdt: "mkfs.lustre --fsname spfs --mdt --mgs /dev/mpath/mpath2" which seemed to complete ok.

When I try to start it I get an error (Same error for an upgrade or fresh install):

[root at myhost lustre]# mount -t lustre /dev/mpath/mpath2 /mnt/test/mdt
mount.lustre: mount /dev/mpath/mpath2 at /mnt/test/mdt failed: No such device
Are the lustre modules loaded?
Check /etc/modprobe.conf and /proc/filesystems
Note 'alias lustre llite' should be removed from modprobe.conf

 I checked my modprobe.conf file to verify the alias in the error message did not exist. And yes /mnt/test/mdt exists. I've been watching /var/log/messages but nothing shows up there either. Obviously I've missed something, I'm still learning Lustre. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks,
-Nathan