[Lustre-discuss] Quota problem in 1.6.7?

Nirmal Seenu nirmal at fnal.gov
Wed Apr 1 11:30:40 PDT 2009

I am having trouble getting to quota work on Lustre version 1.6.7.

I had quota working fine on Lustre 1.6.6 version and I used to have the
following setting on the MGS, MDT and OSTs
tunefs.lustre --erase-params --mgs --param lov.stripecount=1 --writeconf
/dev/mapper/lustre1_volume-mgs_lv

tunefs.lustre --erase-params --mdt --mgsnode=lustre1 at tcp1 --param
lov.stripecount=1 --writeconf --param mdt.quota_type=ug
/dev/mapper/lustre1_volume-new_mds_lv

tunefs.lustre --erase-params --ost --mgsnode=lustre1 at tcp1 --param
ost.quota_type=ug --writeconf /dev/sdc1

Once I upgraded from Lustre 1.6.6 to Lustre 1.6.7, the MDT crashes
(Kernel panic) instantaneously when I try to mount an OST that has the
quota enabled. I tried using the latest Lustre patched RHEL5 kernel and
kernel.org kernel: 2.6.22.14 on the MDT server and that didn't make any
difference and both kernels paniced instantly on OST mount.

To fix this problem, I had to do remove the parameter ost-quota_type=ug
on all my OSTs:

tunefs.lustre --erase-params --ost --mgsnode=lustre1 at tcp1 --writeconf
/dev/sdc1

I am able mount all the OSTs after removing quotas on OSTs and the file
system is healthy, but Quota is disabled.

I get this error on the MDT server when I mount the various MGS, MDT and
OST partitions:
LustreError: 6372:0:(quota_master.c:1625:qmaster_recovery_main())
qmaster recovery failed! (id:120 type:1 rc:-3)

I get the following error on MDT server when ever I try to do "lfs
quota" on a client node:
lustre1 kernel: LustreError: 4591:0:(quota_ctl.c:288:client_quota_ctl())
ptlrpc_queue_wait failed, rc: -3

Is this a known problem with quotas on 1.6.7? Is there any patches
available to fix this problem?

Thanks in advance.
Nirmal