[Lustre-discuss] RHEL5 Lustre system updating precautions

Cliff White Cliff.White at Sun.COM
Thu Apr 2 10:03:18 PDT 2009

Nick Jennings | CMD Technical Director wrote:
> I forgot to add to that by asking about updating Lustre itself. My
> tendency would be to leave well enough alone and attempt an upgrade of
> Lustre on a production system unless absolutely necessary. However, I
> then worry about falling behind and being left without a supported
> upgrade path. Any advice on this as well?

First, Lustre is mostly kernel-stuff - most other upgrades shouldn't
impact it. Of course we prefer that Lustre servers are dedicated to
Lustre, which makes things simplier.

We also prefer you keep Lustre up to date, since we do fix bugs and
stuff. Upgrades of minor version release should be fairly painless, and
good for bug fixes.

We do attempt to release updates when the distros release a new kernel,
especially when there are security-related kernel updates.
cliffw