[Lustre-discuss] Quota problem in 1.6.7?

Nirmal Seenu nirmal at fnal.gov
Thu Apr 2 10:37:42 PDT 2009

We didn't have anything in place to capture the console logs and I wont
be able to provide you any specific details of the kernel panic at this
time.

The kernel panic was easily reproducible with Lustre 1.6.7 on lustre
patched kernel(RHEL5) as well as 2.6.22.14 kernel.

In our configuration we have a separate machine which hosts the MDT and
MGS with each having their own partition. There are 2 OSSs and each OSS
exports 6 OSTs amd each OST is 2.7TB in size. The MDT/MGS machine
crashed consistently when I tried to mount the 5 or 6th(out of 12) OST.

This is the setting on MGS, MDT and all the OSTs that produces the
kernel panic.

tunefs.lustre --erase-params --mgs --param lov.stripecount=1 --writeconf
/dev/mapper/lustre1_volume-mgs_lv

tunefs.lustre --erase-params --mdt --mgsnode=lustre1 at tcp1 --param
lov.stripecount=1 --writeconf --param mdt.quota_type=ug
/dev/mapper/lustre1_volume-new_mds_lv

tunefs.lustre --erase-params --ost --mgsnode=lustre1 at tcp1 --param
ost.quota_type=ug --writeconf /dev/sdc1

Our file system is in production use right now and I wont be able to
take a downtime to reproduce this problem. Please let me know if I can
provide you any other detail at this time.

Thanks
Nirmal