[Lustre-discuss] Lustre on WAN

Andreas Dilger adilger at sun.com
Thu Apr 2 14:22:19 PDT 2009

On Mar 26, 2009  07:53 -0700, Shi Jin wrote:
> I am working on the storage solution for our Cybera cloud in Alberta, Canada.
> After testing several distributed file systems such as MooseFS,
> Tahoe and Lustre, I finally realized that Lustre is the best among
> them. However, Lustre is originally designed to target at HPC clusters,
> i.e., systems on a single LAN environment. On the other hand, the cloud
> we are building is physically distributed at different cities in the
> province of Alberta. I did a preliminary test of Lustre between the two
> Universities at Calgary and Edmonton, the performance is impressively
> good, partly due to the fast network we are running in the province. I
> also know that Lustre can use Kerberos to do secure authentication,
> which is critical in a WAN environment.
>
> Everything said, I still would like to hear some insider thoughts on
> the possibility of implementing Lustre as a distributed storage solution
> for a physically distributed cloud system.

This is very similar to the environment that is being used at Indiana
University.  They have the Lustre servers at a central site, but
several labs/campuses in other cities are mounting the filesystem and
they can saturate 10GigE links between the sites.

Note that Kerberos is not yet available in a production release, though
an preview release is available in CVS (use the v1_9_166 tag).  Until
kerberos is available you should use a VPN or physically secure link
for the WAN connection.

Depending on your level of committment to deploying a Lustre solution,
there is the annual Lustre User Group in San Francisco on April 16, 17,
at which many Lustre customers will be attending.

Sr. Staff Engineer, Lustre Group
Sun Microsystems of Canada, Inc.