[Lustre-discuss] files in lost+found

Andreas Dilger adilger at sun.com
Sat Apr 4 14:57:02 PDT 2009

On Apr 04, 2009  09:36 -0400, Mag Gam wrote:
> I have over 52k files in my lost+found of my MGS (not my OSTs). I am
> not sure what tool I need to use to recover these files. Should i use
> lfsck or ll_recover_lost_found_objs?

That is only for the OSTs.  Unfortunately, there is no easy way to
recover them except by e.g. UID/GID and looking at the contents,
which is true of local filesystems as well.

I'd recommend making a lost+found directory in each user's home dir
and then moving all of their files into their directory (with MDS
mounted with -t ldiskfs) and let them sort it out.

In Lustre 2.0 and later the MDS inodes will contain an attribute that
holds the filename and parent directory ID that will allow recovery in
a manner similar to how ll_recover_lost_found_objs does for the OST.

Sr. Staff Engineer, Lustre Group
Sun Microsystems of Canada, Inc.