[Lustre-discuss] Random access is not improving

Oleg Drokin Oleg.Drokin at Sun.COM
Mon Apr 6 11:13:48 PDT 2009

Hello!

On Apr 6, 2009, at 12:16 PM, sethpn at gmail.com wrote:

> Does Lustre increase random access performance?  I would like to know
> this becauseI have a large random access file (a hash table).  I have
> striped this file across multiple OSTs.  The file is 24 gigabytes, and
> the stripe size was 1gig across 10 OSTs.  I also tried a stripe size
> of 100megabytes.  Both stripe sizes did not seem to improve random
> access performance.  Am I doing something wrong?

If you are seeing significantly less performance than how much you can
get from a single disk*10
is one matter. If you just at around that singledisk*10 case, you are
just disk bound and nothing
we can do about it.
In a sense Lustre just works as a huge RAID0 over your network, so the
more spindles you trow at it
is the better.
If the file eventually fits into the client cache and there is no
parallel write activity to the file,
you might want to increase readahead size from default 40 Mb so that
the file is cached in memory more
quickly.

Also random write performance is somewhat improved due to all the
cache happening before the eventual flush,
but again at the end we cannot go faster than the sum of underlying
disk devices (that tend to perform
pretty weakly on random io)

Bye,
     Oleg