[Lustre-discuss] size on mds,

Brock Palen brockp at umich.edu
Thu Apr 9 07:59:14 PDT 2009

I just patched a version of e2scan to also return the uid, and gid of
the owner of a file.
Our goal was to find a quick way to find disk utilization by uid/
gid.  As running a du, on the filesystem takes 24 hours.  While
e2scan (on the mds) takes only an hour.

We found out though, obviously that the size returned by e2scan is
the size on the MDS which is very small. It does not represent the
size of the objects the file points at.

I think it was at SC last year there was talk of 'size on the mds'  I
assume this would not be in inode.i_size as that is the underlying
ldiskfs size, not the sum of the objects.

Is the full size of all the objects, being located in metadata on the
mds still expected? If so which release?  Just curious.

We will instead turn on quotas, and not enforce them.  We just have
to wait till our next down time to do that.

Brock Palen
www.umich.edu/~brockp
Center for Advanced Computing
brockp at umich.edu