[Lustre-discuss] Patchless client ppc64 with 2.6.27+ kernel

Matthias Hüsken Matthias.Huesken at math.uni-wuppertal.de
Tue Apr 14 06:21:18 PDT 2009

Hi,

I'm trying to compile the lustre patchless client for ppc64-based clients
(Cell-based, to be more exact) with recent kernels (2.6.27/28).
Unfortunately, the lustre "configure" always tells me that the kernel does
not support building modules (which it does support of course). Here's what
I'm doing exactly:

- untar, configure & build kernel, say in /tmp/linux-2.6.27:
  * cd /tmp
  * tar xjf linux-2.6.27.tar.bz2
  * cd linux-2.6.27
  * make menuconfig
  * make
- copy some version of lustre to /tmp/lustre (tried with different versions,
  including cvs v1_6_7_1_RC2 and v1_8_0_RC5); afterwards try to configure:
  * cd /tmp/lustre
  * ./configure --with-linux=/tmp/linux-2.6.27 --disable-server

The last step fails with the following errors message (lustre v1_8_0_RC5):
-------
checking if you are using Linux 2.6... yes
checking for external module build support... yes
checking that modules can be built at all... no
configure: WARNING: Consult config.log for details.
configure: WARNING: If you are trying to build with a kernel-source rpm,
consult build/README.kernel-source
configure: error: Kernel modules cannot be built.
-------

Any idea what is going wrong (or what I am doing wrong)? I also tested on an
i686 host; there the "configure" worked without problems, so this seems to be
ppc64-related.

Aside from this specific problem, how are plans for supporting recent kernel
versions for ppc64 clients?

Matthias

Matthias Hüsken          Phone: +49 202 439-3362
Fachbereich Mathematik   Fax:   +49 202 439-2912
Bergische Universität
Gaußstraße 20
D - 42097 Wuppertal
e-mail: Matthias.Huesken at math.uni-wuppertal.de