[Lustre-discuss] NFS export problem

Ralf Utermann ralf.utermann at physik.uni-augsburg.de
Wed Apr 22 02:05:56 PDT 2009

Dear list,

on a Debian etch system, I have NFS-mounted a Lustre
filesystem. The mount was possible without error. However,
when I want to access this NFS-mounted Lustre filesystem, I see the
following error message on the NFS client system:

# ls -l /alcc/alf1/
total 0
?--------- ? ? ? ?                ? /alcc/alf1/admin
# ls -ld /alcc/alf1/admin
ls: /alcc/alf1/admin: Input/output error

each time I access the NFS mounted Lustre system, I see
a syslog entry on the client like:

kernel: nfs_stat_to_errno: bad nfs status return value: 45

The Lustre client which acts as the NFS server and the Lustre MDT
don't show any error in the logs. On the Lustre client, /alcc/alf1
is the mount point for the Lustre filesystem and this is exported
with NFS:
# ls -ld /alcc/alf1/admin
drwxr-xr-x 3 root root 4096 2009-03-24 10:38 /alcc/alf1/admin
# exportfs -v -r
exporting 192.168.2.0/24:/alcc/alf1

The Lustre client (and servers) are Debian Lenny systems running a
vanilla 2.6.22.19 kernel with Lustre 1.6.7(+ the latest critical patch).
All systems have nss  access to the same user database, although
the example above does not even need this (no root squash on
Lustre and NFS).

Any hints?
TIA, Ralf
--