[Lustre-discuss] Lustre playground in VirtualBox?

Isaac Huang He.Huang at Sun.COM
Wed Aug 12 11:28:45 PDT 2009

On Mon, Aug 10, 2009 at 03:39:52PM +0200, Wolfgang Stief wrote:
> Hi out there!
>
> Before I start installing and fiddling around: Are there any reasons
> AGAINST setting up a Lustre playground in a VirtualBox environment? I
> just want to play around w/ recovery and debugging situations and
> upgrades. No performance required at all.
>
> Anybody already set up a virtual environment for such a purpose? Any
> "best practice" or something?

The Linux virtio drivers would accelerate guess VM network and disk
IO performance if the VM software is capable of making use of it.
Not sure about VirtualBox but kvm does support it. You probably don't
care about performance in a virtual sandbox but it's a low-hanging
fruit that comes at little cost.

Isaac