[Lustre-discuss] Incorrect user's Quota

Fan Yong Yong.Fan at Sun.COM
Fri Aug 28 03:01:35 PDT 2009

Lu Wang wrote:
> Hi Yong,
>
>      We are running lustre-1.6.5-2.6.9_55.EL.cernsmp 32 bit(on client), 2.6.9-67.0.22.EL_lustre.1.6.6smp,64bit(on server).
> each user has 20GB quota for file size. We have not set file number quota.
>
> #  lfs quota -u **** /besfs2
> Disk quotas for user **** (uid 23034):
>      Filesystem  kbytes   quota   limit   grace   files   quota   limit   grace
>         /besfs2       4  20000000 20100000               1       0       0
> besfs2-MDT0000_UUID
>                       4          131072               1               0
> besfs2-OST0000_UUID
>                       0          131072
> besfs2-OST0001_UUID
>                       0          131072
> besfs2-OST0002_UUID
>                       0          131072
> besfs2-OST0003_UUID
>                       0          131072
> besfs2-OST0004_UUID
>                       0          131072
> besfs2-OST0005_UUID
>                       0          131072
> besfs2-OST0006_UUID
>                       0          131072
>
>  I am sorry I do not have the error screen shot.  Which shows that certain user has not reached the file size quota while
> an "quota exceed" error was triggered.

One possible reason is that there are some open-delete (delete files
before file real closed) operations, which cause the disk space and
quota are not released until files are real closed.
On the other hand, lustre quota is distributed, which is not as accurate
as local filesystem. That maybe cause "Quota exceed" when near but not
hit the limitation.
If it is not the above reasons caused your failure, I suggest you to
upgrade to lustre 1.6.7 or 1.8.1, some other users have reported the
similar issues before, we have fix some quota related issues in such
distributions.

--
Fan Yong