[Lustre-discuss] MGT of 128 MB - already out of space

Jeffrey Bennett jab at sdsc.edu
Fri Dec 18 17:13:02 PST 2009

Hi,

Scenario is the following:

- Lustre 1.8.1.1
- 3 Lustre filesystems, fully redundant (two networks, OSSs on active/active, MDSs on active/passive)
- 1 MGS, 1 MDT, 2 OSTs
- For the MGT, 128MB were allocated, following Lustre's manual recommendations
- The MGT is already out of space, and a "ls" of the MGT is showing files are 8MB, like:

-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 8.0M Dec  2 15:11 devfs-client
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 8.0M Dec  2 15:11 devfs-MDT0000
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 8.0M Dec  2 16:42 devfs-OST0000

Other lustre filesystems I have worked on show much smaller files. A "dumpe2fs" on this MGT does not show anything strange like huge block sizes, etc.

Question is, why are these files so big and how can we "shrink" them? Is it possible to run --writeconf to fix this?

Thanks,

Jeffrey A. Bennett
HPC Systems Engineer
San Diego Supercomputer Center