[Lustre-discuss] Implementing MMP correctly

Michael Schwartzkopff misch at multinet.de
Tue Dec 22 05:12:44 PST 2009

Hi,

I am trying to understand howto implement MMP correctly into a lustre failover
cluster.

As far as I understood the MMP protects the same filesystem beeing mounted by
different nodes (OSS) of a failover cluster. So far so good.

If a node was shut down uncleanly it still will occupy its filesystems by MMP
and thus preventing the clean failover to an other node. Now I want to
implement a clean failover into the Filesystem Resource Agent of pacemaker. Is
there a good way to solve the problem with MMP? Possible sotutions are:

- Disable the MMP feature in a cluster at all, since the resource manager
takes care that the same resource is only mounted once in the cluster

- Do a "tunefs -O ^mmp <device>" and a "tunefs -O mmp <device>" before every
mounting of a resource?

- Do a "sleep 10" before mounting a resource? But the manual says "the file
system mount require additional time if the file system was not cleanly
unmounted."

- Check if the file system is in use by another OSS through MMP and wait a
litte bit longer? How do I do this?

Please mail me any ideas. Thanks.

--
Dr. Michael Schwartzkopff
MultiNET Services GmbH

mail: misch at multinet.de
web: www.multinet.de

Sitz der Gesellschaft: 85630 Grasbrunn
Geschäftsführer: Günter Jurgeneit, Hubert Martens

---

PGP Fingerprint: F919 3919 FF12 ED5A 2801 DEA6 AA77 57A4 EDD8 979B
Skype: misch42