[Lustre-discuss] lustre 1.6.7.2 client kernel panic

Bernd Schubert bs_lists at aakef.fastmail.fm
Tue Dec 22 14:08:41 PST 2009

On Tuesday 22 December 2009, David Dillow wrote:
> On Tue, 2009-12-22 at 18:09 +0100, Bernd Schubert wrote:
> > >
> > >  You're right, I just hadn't gotten around to getting netconsole set up
> > > like I planned. *blush* :)
> >
> > Most servers nowadays have IPMI and an IPMI SOL is much better.
>
> Heh, I'd like to know what servers you are running. Our experience with
> IPMI SOL on a variety of systems has been anything but reliable. It has
> a notorious habit of dropping out under any sort of load, such as during
> an oops where you need it the most.
>
> It's still better than nothing, but it's a crapshoot.

Yes, I know about IPMI issues, of course. In my experience, SuperMicro IPMI
with an additional NIC port works perfectly. I don't know about their most
recent mainboards and BMCs, though. The first week I started for DDN I learned
that Dell-DRAC5 has a bug and does not send a break (sysrq). According to
Dell, this is fixed in their recent firmware released 7 days ago (I opened the
'priority' call on March 6th), but I could not check yet.
Also working rather well is HP ilO, although not with SOL, but their build in
"vsp". The problem with vsp is that cursor-keys do not work and navigating
through the grub-menu is a pain, unless you know emacs shortcuts in and out
(I'm a vi user...).

Cheers,
Bernd

--