[Lustre-discuss] What stripe size and extent size to choose for Lustre

Andreas Dilger adilger at sun.com
Wed Dec 30 14:50:01 PST 2009

On 2009-12-29, at 20:05, Jagga Soorma wrote:
> I am new to Lustre and will be deploying a small 20 node cluster
> using the Lustre FS.  I do not have many requirements from my users :
> ( and not sure what type of workload they will be putting on this
> filesystem.  All nodes will be interconnected using Infiniband.  My
> question is what stripe size and extent size to use for my
> environment:
>
> Stripe Size: I was thinking of just setting this to -1 since I will
> be adding more OSS's at a later time and will probably have 4-5
> OST's per OSS.  Any downfalls of using -1?

Do you mean "stripe count"?  Having a default stripe count of 4 isn't
a bad idea, but making the default larger than this is probably not
going to help.  Adding more stripes is useful if you have many clients
accessing the same large file, or if a single client needs more
bandwidth than what a single OST can provide.  Otherwise, adding more
stripes just adds overhead to file IO.

Sr. Staff Engineer, Lustre Group
Sun Microsystems of Canada, Inc.