[Lustre-discuss] git/hg/svn instead of cvs?

Bernd Schubert bs_lists at aakef.fastmail.fm
Thu Feb 5 15:20:19 PST 2009

Hello,

is there a chance you will switch from cvs to a more recent version system in
the near future?
Actually, I'm always startled how you manage to work with cvs at all, it has
so many limits. For example I want to apply the patch from bug#17385 to 1.6.6,
but it doesn't apply cleanly. In the b1_6 branch I see in ldlm/ldlm_lockd.c in
ldlm_failed_ast() an #ifdef __KERNEL__ chunk was added. Now I'm not sure why
it was added and if I simply add it to 1.6.6, do I also need to add further
chunks? With hg or git, I simply would 'annotate' the corresponding file and
that way find the entire patch. With cvs I only get revisions per file, but
not across different files.
Either I miss something or shouldn't you have similar problems all the time as
well?

Thanks,
Bernd