[Lustre-discuss] Lustre & SQLite

Michal Wesolowski gmickyw at gmail.com
Wed Feb 11 13:19:01 PST 2009

Hi Experts

I'm trying to determine whether SQLite will properely work on Lustre. From a
quick search it seems that some people use it successfully using
flock/localflock mount option. But I have doubts.
I'm interested in 2 scenarios:
- SQLite works properely for single Lustre node.
- SQLite files are accessed simultanously by processes on more than one node.

In SQLite documentation (http://www.sqlite.org/lockingv3.html) there is
statement that this db engine uses advisory locks to protect shared date. I know
Lustre doesn't implement this yet. So my questions are:
- Am I right suspecting that for current Lustre version (1.6.6) there is real
risk of SQLite files corruption (in a sense of their integrity - not from fs
point of view) even if using flock option?
- Are advisory locks still planned to come with 1.8 version (as it is indicated
in current Lustre Operation Manual, but there is no such feature in November
Roadmap slide on wiki.lustre.org site)?

Thanks in advance.

Best Regards

Michal Wesolowski