[Lustre-discuss] Lustre & SQLite

Wed Feb 11 23:57:44 PST 2009

On Thu, 2009-02-12 at 02:30 -0500, Andreas Dilger wrote:

> I think that is only between processes on the same node.  I think accessing
> SQLite between different processes on different nodes might result in file
> corruption by SQLite itself, regardless of the locking by Lustre.

Can you expand on why you think this might be the case Andreas?  If the
locking works, and the application obeys the locks, what avenues do you
see for corruption?

>    6.0 How To Corrupt Your Database Files
>
>    SQLite uses POSIX advisory locks to implement locking on Unix...
>    Your best defense is to not use SQLite for files on a network filesystem.

Andreas, do you think there is any scientific data behind this kind of
statement or do you think it's just FUD given NFS' long history of
broken file locking?

b.