[Lustre-discuss] new lustre management tools

Robert Read rread at sun.com
Thu Feb 19 11:44:47 PST 2009

Hi,

It has come to our attention that Lustre is occasionally found to be
difficult to configure and manage. To address this, we are exploring
options for improving our configuration tools for Lustre, including
replacing lustre_config completely.  However, we want to engage our
user community as much as possible in this effort, since that help
ensure the tools we end up with will be a good fit for those who use
it the most.  For instance, the new tool "Shine" (CEA's rewrite of
Bull's admin tools) looks very promising and I encourage everyone
interested in this to check it out: http://shine-wiki.async.eu/wiki/
Home.  Does anyone know of other tools or efforts underway to build
one?   Ideally, I'd like to concentrate efforts on one solution, and
declare this to be the "official" tool.

On related note, what do people use to monitor Lustre?  Of course
there is LMT (http://sourceforge.net/projects/lmt/), and I've heard
reports of others using nagios and/or ganglia, as well. Anything else?
Should we start documenting these on a "best practices" wiki page?

cheers,
robert