[Lustre-discuss] Different Disk Size on the cluster nodes

Alessio Terpin aterpin at aoes.com
Mon Feb 23 08:28:14 PST 2009

Dear ML,

  I have plan to install lustre on my cluster, i have make some test on
a testbed and it's works
  Now I have to "migrate" to the production cluster, the production
cluster have 3 different machine
  with different disk size and perfomance, becuase I would like to use
same RAID configuration [ 10 or 6 ]
   I wuold know if is possibile to make this using different size disk.

  Machine

   type A  - >  200 GB for  lustre
   type B  - >  60   GB for lustre
   type C  - >  30   Gb  for lustre

  Use Case 1)

    all the machines A,B,C make a single RAID 10 or 6 filesystem, the
complexity is managed by lustre
    Is possibile ?

Use Case 2)

  The RAID 10 want to have the same disk, so taht I need to have 3
seaparte lustre filesystem, one for ecah type of machine
  i.e. lustreA lustreB , lustre C
  as far I have understood to make this is neccassary to have 3 separate
MDS.
  Can a MDS server more tha 1 filesystem ?
  Can a host serve 3 seaparate MDS one for each filesystem, if yes In
which way I have to configure the network ?
  I thought that a mds use a tcp port, so that I have to chanche the
default port for the server and the OSS of each filesystem

Thank in advance

Alessio

--
Alessio Terpin: Unix System Administrator
Tel: +31 (0) 71 579 55 19 Fax: +31 (0) 71 572 12 77