[Lustre-discuss] (re)building lustre kernel from lustre src rpm

Robert Minvielle robert at lite3d.com
Wed Feb 25 12:37:03 PST 2009

I have a small problem, and I am sure I am missing something or just
doing something wrong. I have lustre 1.6.6 working fine on some RHEL5
boxes. On the clients, however, they needed a few drivers that require
the kernel src, so I downloaded the kernel-lustre-source-2.6.18-92.1.10.el5_lustre.1.6.6.x86_64.rpm
from sun and installed it. Well, that works fine, but now I need to recompile the
actual kernel, as there is a particular feature that is not enabled, and
I need to compile a module for it.

So, I go to /usr/src/linux-2.6.18-92.1.10.el5_lustre.1.6.6, make menuconfig,
check the one think I need as <M>, exit, do a make bzImage modules_install,
cp ./arch/x86_64/boot/bzImage to my /boot/ and change grub accordingly.
When I reboot grub tells me that it fails to load the file (IIRC, it is
file format unrecognized). I read the manual, but it is all about downlaoding
a vanilla kernel and applying the patches. I am assuming here that the
kernel-lustre-source would already have those applied, and that I would simply
need to built it. I think I am missing some critical step here, although I
will admit I have built countless linux kernels for many distributions, and
have never actually run into this grub error before. Any help/suggestions would
be appreciated.

Thanks.