[Lustre-discuss] OST node filling up and aborting write

Sat Feb 28 05:36:28 PST 2009

On Sat, 2009-02-28 at 02:34 +0100, Nick Jennings wrote:
> Hi Everyone,

Hi Nick,

>   I've got 4 OSTs (each 2gigs in size) on one lustre file system. I dd a
> 4 gig file to the filesystem and after the first OST fills up, the write
> fails (not enough space on device):

Writes to do not "cascade" over to another OST when one fills up.

> I initially thought this could be solved by enabling striping, but from
> HowTo (which doesn't say much on the subject admittedly) I gathered
> striping was already enabled?

No.  By default, stripesize == 1.  In order to get a single file onto
multiple OSTs you will need to explicitly set a striping policy either
on the file you are going to write into or the directory the file is in.

b.