[Lustre-discuss] Lustre and ORACLE

Guy Coates gmpc at sanger.ac.uk
Wed Jan 7 01:01:05 PST 2009

gregory steulet wrote:
> Hi guys !
>
> Just a question regarding compatibility and success story with Lustre and ORACLE.
>
> 1. Do you know if it's possible to install an Oracle DB on a lustre FS ? as far as I know it's anyway not supported by Oracle
>
> 2. Have u ever heard about a success story with those both technologies ?

The generally accepted (and supported by Oracle) way of doing big Oracle +
clustering is to run Oracle RAC on top of ASM, which are basically clustered raw
devices.

http://www.oracle.com/technology/asm/index.html

http://www.oracle.com/technology/products/database/clustering/index.html

Node count tends to be smaller in RAC clusters (2-100 nodes rather than 1000s),
but you can big build datastores; we have 100TB+ Oracle databases in production
on top of ASM.

Cheers,

Guy

--
Dr. Guy Coates,  Informatics System Group
The Wellcome Trust Sanger Institute, Hinxton, Cambridge, CB10 1HH, UK