[Lustre-discuss] AoE devices

Tue Jan 13 19:50:26 PST 2009

On Wed, 2009-01-14 at 14:37 +1100, Philip Manuel wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have a Coraid AoE array that I am trying to use with lustre.  However
> mount.lustre fails with the following reasons:-
>
> mount.lustre -vv /dev/etherd/e2.1 /lustre-test
> arg[0] = mount.lustre
> arg[1] = -vv
> arg[2] = /dev/etherd/e2.1
> arg[3] = /lustre-test
> source = /dev/etherd/e2.1 (/dev/etherd/e2.1), target = /lustre-test
> options =
> mounting device /dev/etherd/e2.1 at /lustre-test, flags=0
> options=device=/dev/etherd/e2.1
> warning: No such file or directory, device /dev/etherd/e stat failed
> mount.lustre: unable to set tunables for /dev/etherd/e2.1 (may cause
> reduced IO performance)
> mount.lustre: mount /dev/etherd/e2.1 at /lustre-test failed: Cannot
> allocate memory
>
> Does this mean AoE devices are not supported by lustre ?

No.  You are being bitten by assumptions in the code about the format of
device names.  Notice that the messages report your device as:

options=device=/dev/etherd/e2.1

Yet following that, you see:

warning: No such file or directory, device /dev/etherd/e stat failed

So the device name has been mangled from /dev/etherd/e2.1
to /dev/etherd/e and of course a stat of that fails.

Please file a bug in our bugzilla about this.

b.