[Lustre-discuss] Recovery fails if clients not connected

Roger Spellman roger at terascala.com
Wed Jan 21 09:13:38 PST 2009

> I believe you can connect the OSSs once the MDS has booted, and in
fact, I'm pretty

> sure that the five in the 'connected_clients: 0/5' are in fact your
OSS nodes. Each

> OST maintains a connection to the MDS while the file system is
mounted, so they

> will be included in the connection count on the MDS.

Klaus, thanks for this information. But, the 0/5 is the number of
clients.  An MDT is a client of an OST, not the other way around.

________________________________

I believe you can connect the OSSs once the MDS has booted, and in fact,
I'm pretty sure that the five in the 'connected_clients: 0/5' are in
fact your OSS nodes. Each OST maintains a connection to the MDS while
the file system is mounted, so they will be included in the connection
count on the MDS.

However, regardless of the state - if your MDS is online and the MDT is
mounted, you can start up the OSS nodes and corresponding OSTs at any
time; clients attempting to make transactions will have their I/O
operations block (or fail, depending on the MDS config) until the
missing nodes come back online.

hth,
Klaus