[Lustre-discuss] Question about No space left on device

Thu Jan 22 11:36:54 PST 2009

On Thu, 2009-01-22 at 12:11 -0600, Chad Kerner wrote:
> Hello,
>
>       We are running lustre 1.6.6 and are seeing a weird error on space
> usage.  The filesystem is not anywhere near full, but writes are failing
> if they hit OST 23.
>
> if I do an lfs setstripe -i 23 chad, and then do
> # dd if=/dev/zero of=chad
> dd: writing to `chad': No space left on device
> 26+0 records in
> 25+0 records out
> #
>
> The actual device is fairly full.
> # df /lustre/home/ost_h_24
> Filesystem           1K-blocks      Used Available Use% Mounted on
> /dev/mapper/ost_h_24 564172088 509452368  26061444  96%
> /lustre/home/ost_h_24

At 4% free, unless you have changed the "reserved space" on the OSTs'
filesystem (see the ops manual) you are into the space that a normal
user is not allowed to write (and gets ENOSPC when he does).  By default
5% of every device is reserved for root.

That said, you really are running that OST quite full.  Historically
(I'm not sure if this still applies -- maybe one of our ext3 experts can
comment) if you run an ext3 filesystem >80% you start to get performance
degradations.

Are you getting any ENOSPC (-28) errors other than by trying to force a
write to that full OST?  I ask because unless directed specifically to
use a particular OST (as your example does) the MDS should avoid using a
full OST.  If it's not, that's a bug.

b.