[Lustre-discuss] How to change inode capacity

Thu Jan 29 11:36:14 PST 2009

On Thu, 2009-01-29 at 13:32 +0900, Satoshi Isono wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Do you know how to change the capacity of inode space?

Sorry, you can't.  Up-front planning is very important in this aspect of
deploying Lustre.  In the future, adding MDTs will increase inode
capacity, but currently only a single MDT is supported.

I *think* growing the size of the physical device and then using
resize2fs to increase an ext3(4?) filesystem will increase inode count.
I am however, doubtful that resize2fs will work with our ldiskfs
filesystems.  Perhaps resize2fs from an ext4 supporting version of
e2fsprogs will support doing that.  I have no idea -- never tried it.

That said, doing this is a completely unsupported operation.  I don't
know anyone that has even tried it.  If you want to go this route, do a
lot of testing and make sure you have backups.

It will probably be easier and cheaper in the long run to just build a
new MDT that meets your revised requirements.

b.