[Lustre-discuss] performance tuning

Martin Pokorny mpokorny at nrao.edu
Thu Jul 2 12:34:55 PDT 2009

Hello all,

I'm in the process of evaluating Lustre for a project I'm working on,
and I'd like to ask for some advice on tuning my configuration for
better performance. For my evaluation work, I've got one MGS/MDS and
four OSSes each hosting one OST. This storage cluster was put together
using some spare nodes that we had from a small, currently unused
compute cluster, and the disks are all single scsi drives. All of the
Lustre servers are running 2.6.18-92.1.17.el5_lustre.1.8.0smp kernels,
and the clients are patchless. All networking is over 1Gb Ethernet.

In our application we have an instrument streaming data to a (compute)
cluster, which then does some work and writes results to a file, all of
which generally has to occur in real time (that is, keep up with the
streaming data). The files are written by processes running on the
cluster concurrently; that is, for a particular data set, multiple
processes are writing to one file. Due to the way the instrument
distributes data to the cluster nodes, as well as the format of output
files, each cluster process generally writes a relatively small amount
of data in a block, but at a high frequency (about every 10-100ms). It
might be important to note that the blocks written by a single process
are not in general contiguous. The aggregate data rate being written to
the output files is approximately 100MB/s at this time, although this
may ramp up considerably at a later date.

While my brief testing with IOR showed acceptable write throughput to
the Lustre filesystem, I have been unable to achieve anywhere near that
figure with our application doing the writes --- I'm concerned that the
write pattern being used is a severely limiting factor. In this
situation, does anyone have any advice about what I ought to be looking
at to improve performance on Lustre?

--
Martin