[Lustre-discuss] Bonded client interfaces and 10GbE server

Klaus Steden klaus.steden at technicolor.com
Tue Jul 7 15:00:51 PDT 2009

Hi Ralf,

The specification for 802.3ad does not permit the striping of a single data
path across multiple links, i.e. a single TCP/UDP conversation takes place
with a lone physical interface, the TCP/IP stack does not split it apart so
it can use multiple paths.

If you use a single 10GigE link instead multiple GigE (assuming you have a
fast performing NIC that supports RDMA), you would see Gbit+ throughput for
a single conversation. However, both peers would need to be using 10GigE
NICs.

LACP bonding only provides more aggregate bandwidth over a given link, it
does not double (triple, quadruple, etc.) to a single thread of
communication without some application-specific or hardware-specific
optimizations.

hth,
Klaus

On 7/7/09 6:44 AM, "Ralf Utermann" <ralf.utermann at physik.uni-augsburg.de>