[Lustre-discuss] Setting up lustre for backup

Mon Jul 13 06:51:10 PDT 2009

On Mon, 2009-07-13 at 12:07 +0300, Onane wrote:
> Okey. Is there any other way for doing it ?

No.

> In my configuration, OST1 has 80GB & OST2 has 80GB. If I gave them
> same fsname & mgsnode, I would access 160GB lustre filesystem on
> client. I want to use these two volumes like raid 1. That is, how can
> I configure lustre filesystem so that OST2 back up OST1 (say. every
> hour) ?

As Andreas has already said, Lustre cannot do this for you.

Perhaps you want to look into having your two OSSes (mc0 and mc1),
serving up the (virtually) same OST, mirrored with DRBD or the like.
There has been a fair amount of discussion on this list on that.  Please
search the archives.

Please also note, that we (Sun) have not verified definitively one way
or the other if DRBD has the right semantics to provide a true mirror of
the OST such that Lustre will not have a problem with a failover
involving it, so it's up to you to verify for yourself whether it's a
suitable solution or not.

Cheers,
b.