[Lustre-discuss] file system shrinking and OST failure

Mon Jul 13 10:56:17 PDT 2009

On Mon, 2009-07-13 at 12:51 -0500, Carlos Santana wrote:
> Does lustre support shrinking of file system size - online or offline?
> I read online is not supported, but I couldn't find any info for the
> offline shrinking. My guess is that it is not supported. Please
> correct me if I am wrong.

You can shrink the filesystem by simply removing an OST.  Of course, if
there are objects on that OST, you need to move them off first, or you
will lose the files, (or parts of files in the case of striped files)
those objects are members of.

All of the manual, this list and bugzilla have discussed how to move
files off an OST in pretty great detail.  Please check them for details
on how.

b.