[Lustre-discuss] 1.6.4.2 -> 1.8.0.1 Upgrade Question

Charles Taylor taylor at hpc.ufl.edu
Wed Jul 22 14:49:18 PDT 2009

We are about to upgrade our standalone MGS/MDS (no failover) from
1.6.4.2 to 1.8.0.1.    I'm a little confused by section 13.2.4 of the
Lustre 1.8 Operations Manual.     What is the purpose of the

mdt1# tunefs.lustre --mgs --mdt --fsname=testfs /dev/sda1

command?    I assume it is writing this information to the MDT (/dev/
sda1) but wan't that information alright put there when the file
system was created under 1.6.4.2?    Has the format changed between
the two versions?    Why is the tunefs.lustre step necessary?    I'm
concerned about overwriting *anything* on the MDT and rendering our
file system unusable.   I just want to be sure we understand what we
are doing.

The paragraph labeled "Description" in section 32.2 (describing
tunefs.lustre) did not exactly give me a warm-fuzzy.

BTW, we already have a number of 1.8.0.1 clients running against the
1.6.4.2 servers.     Working great so far!

Thanks,

Charlie Taylor
UF HPC Center