[Lustre-discuss] recreate metada - possible?

Bernd Schubert bs_lists at aakef.fastmail.fm
Thu Jul 23 08:12:17 PDT 2009

Hello Tom,

On Wednesday 15 July 2009, Tom Woezel wrote:
> Thank you all for the answers so far. The main problem with the raid
> is that the partition table has been overwritten. I don't know how it
> happened but it seems that another machine could see the raid device
> during a kickstart installation and used it (some of our kickstart
> files use the clearpart --all --initlabel option).
>
> However I was able to recover a partition table with gpart (tried
> TestDisk befor and didn't work) and will now see if I can somehow
> recover the MGS and MDTs.

have you been able to recover your data? We (DDN) are presently recovering a
reformated MDT. Compared to that your case sounds rather minor though (unless
you can't assemble a raid5 or raid6).

I'm going to update bug#19904 with the new tools we have based on MDT
directory entry recovery. If you still can't recover anything those tools
might be helpful for you, too.

Cheers,
Bernd

--