[Lustre-discuss] File sizes on MDT

Thomas Roth t.roth at gsi.de
Mon Jul 27 05:24:09 PDT 2009

Hi all,

I'm copying around data between 2 MDTs in a test system. Having mounted
the partitione as 'ldiskfs', I had a look in MDT/ROOT. I found all my
test data there, but I'm puzzled by the indicated file sizes. For
example I had put one of my holiday's movies, it's 40MB. On the
ldiskfs-mounted MDT, I find a corresponding entry, which also has 40MB,
as given by 'ls -lh'. Of course, the latter file doesn't have the
contents of that movie, but why is it the same size? 'ls -li' also gives
identical results, btw.
On the other hand, there is another movie which is .6.4MB as such, but
0B on the MDT partition.
Both movies play nicely, so there is no problem with this file system.
On our production system, the MDT takes 13GB for 250TB of data,
obviously there aren't entries on the MDT taking the size of the real
data files ;-)

So my question is whether the file size reported by 'ls' on the MDT as
any practical implication?