[Lustre-discuss] erasing file system

Shantanu S Pavgi pavgi at uab.edu
Mon Jul 27 12:52:17 PDT 2009

Hi,

The manual has following instruction for erasing a file system.
If you have a separate MGS (that you do not want to reformat), then add
the "writeconf" flag to mkfs.lustre on the MDT, run:
$ mkfs.lustre --reformat --writeconf –fsname spfs --mdt --mgs /dev/sda

I am not sure, but wouldn't this command create a lustre installation
with two MGSs? Shouldn't it be like:
$ mkfs.lustre --reformat --writeconf –fsname spfs --mdt -mgs=<MGS.ip>
/dev/sda

Also, I have seen some posts where people have more than one MGS per
installation (although it is not recommended). I am wondering how can
one erase a file system when the installation has more than one MGS. Any
insights?

Thanks,
Shantanu Pavgi.