[Lustre-discuss] OSTs and MDS recognize wrong client NID

Dam Thanh Tung tungdt at isds.vn
Tue Jul 28 21:06:33 PDT 2009

Hi everyone

I encounter a problem today with client NID and i hope that anyone here can
help me to resolve it. I would be really appreciate

I have a lustre client node with two NICs. I want to to use ip address in
eth0 ( 192.168.1.10/24 ) to communicate to OSTs and MDS and maybe there was
something wrong with my lnet information in /etc/modprobe.conf, the client
had a NIDs 192.168.1.11 at tcp ( an ip address of eth1 ). I tried many way:

modprobe -r lnet
lustre_rmod lnet
lctl network down
lctl network unconfigure

to shut the lnet down to re-assign NIDs on my client ( to 192.168.1.10 at tcp )
but lnet always be busy. Finally i had to reboot my machine to bring the
lnet down and assign new NID to my client as i want. But, when i mount
lustre:

mount -t lustre 192.168.1.20 at tcp:/lustre /mnt/lustre

it was mounted successfully but there was many error in /var/log/message say
that OSTs and MDS still use the old NID 192.168.1.11 to connect to my client
and it was hang

So, my questions is :

1. How to stop the lnet module properly without rebooting my client
2. Why did OSTs and MDS regconize the old NID of my client even when i
changed it ? Is there any NID information be cached or saved  in OSTs and
MDS?
3. How to change lustre client NIDs properly in order to it can work
normally ?

Best regards