[Lustre-discuss] How to estimate the time for e2fsck on OST

Andreas Dilger adilger at sun.com
Wed Jul 29 03:35:30 PDT 2009

On Jul 29, 2009  15:16 +0800, huangql wrote:
> We want to run e2fsck on OSTs to finish them. However, as to the
> running time, we should estimate how long it takes to run e2fsck on
> OSTs. We hopefully to know what elements to affect the running time like
> the size of OST, the average size of files and so on. Can you give us
> the tips for it? And I hope to receive you email as soon as possible.

The variables in your question are numerous:
- size of the filesystem
- number of inodes
- number of allocated blocks
- distribution of the above on the disk
- speed of the disks
- speed of the CPU
- amount of RAM on server

Reasonable e2fsck times (without serious filesystem problems) might
take between 5 minutes and 2 hours.

Sr. Staff Engineer, Lustre Group
Sun Microsystems of Canada, Inc.