[Lustre-discuss] 2.0-alpha2 MDS out of memory problem

Arne Wiebalck arne.wiebalck at cern.ch
Tue Jun 9 05:36:37 PDT 2009

Dear all,

I set up an 2.0-alpha2 system and planned to populate it with
100 million files. While populating it however, the MDS ran
out of memory, the OOM kicked in, killed some processes, and
all ended in a kernel panic.

So I resetted the MDS and remounted the MDT. After around
30 seconds (no client access yet), the memory gets eaten up
again, reproducing the very same scenario mentioned above.

If I unmount the MDT 'in time', the memory gets freed up (so
I am pretty sure it's Lustre and not something else).

I had seen this with 2.0-alpha1 already, hence I upgraded
to 2.0-alpha2. When using 2.0-alpha1, the system had around
10 million files and was not accessed at all when this
behavior showed up.

The system I am using for my tests has 1 MDS, 1 client and 3
OSSs. The MDS has only 2 GB of memory, but this should only
impact performance, not stability, right?

Any comments welcome, I am also happy to provide more details.

Cheers,
  Arne