[Lustre-discuss] MDT backup procedure

Ramiro Alba Queipo raq at cttc.upc.edu
Wed Jun 17 10:35:51 PDT 2009

HiDaniel,

By reading Chapter 15 of Lustre Operations Manual, it follows that an
MDT backup is only useful if you are changing hardwary or the like.
I am afraid that you can not pretend to replace with a previous image an
failed MDT, as data in OSTs and MDT is not matching any more, right?

Cheers

On Wed, 2009-06-17 at 09:41 -0600, Daniel Kulinski wrote:
> As we move forward with our lustre testing I am wondering about MDT
> backup.
>

> Is it feasible to unmount the MDT, create an image of it and remount
> it after the backup.  Of course this wouldn’t happen but nightly.
>

> From what I can identify, in the case of an MDT failure we would have
> to do the following:
>

> Restore from the last backup.
>
> Run an lfsck across the filesystem.
>

> Am I missing anything else at this point?  We will also be doing file
> level backups of the filesystem as a whole but we are looking for
> quick ways to recover from an MDT failure.
>

> Thanks,
>
>   Dan Kulinski
>

> --
> Aquest missatge ha estat analitzat per MailScanner
> a la cerca de virus i d'altres continguts perillosos,
> i es considera que está net.
> MailScanner agraeix a transtec Computers pel seu suport.
Ramiro Alba

Centre Tecnològic de Tranferència de Calor
http://www.cttc.upc.edu

Escola Tècnica Superior d'Enginyeries
Industrial i Aeronàutica de Terrassa
Colom 11, E-08222, Terrassa, Barcelona, Spain
Tel: (+34) 93 739 86 46

--
Aquest missatge ha estat analitzat per MailScanner
a la cerca de virus i d'altres continguts perillosos,
i es considera que està net.
For all your IT requirements visit: http://www.transtec.co.uk