[Lustre-discuss] MDT backup procedure

Andreas Dilger adilger at sun.com
Thu Jun 18 09:24:35 PDT 2009

On Jun 18, 2009  11:32 +0200, Ramiro Alba Queipo wrote:
> There are 3 ways of doing an MDT backup:
>
> 1) Device-level using dd command
>
> You can do it from the original device to another local device with at
> least the same capacity, BUT no clients and no OSTs should be active, so
> NOT SUITABLE for an automated nightly backup

Well, "no clients/OSTs should be active" is a relative term.  You will
almost certainly have a usable backup even if the filesystem was active,
because ext3 has a robust on-disk layout, but you would need to run an
e2fsck afterward.

> 2) File-level using tar or rsync commands
>
> You can make a copy to other directory (even remotely) BUT you MUST STOP
> lustre and remount it as an 'ldiskfs' file system type. You also have to
> save aditional information (cd /lustre/mds; getfattr -R -d -m '.*' -P .
> > /<backup-dir>/ea.bak). So NOT SUITABLE for an automated nightly backup
> either

Right.  Note that when using "tar" or "rsync" you should use the "--sparse"
option so that it doesn't back up empty files.  Also, with newer versions
of tar (on RHEL/FC) and rsync it is possible to have it do the backup/restore
of the extended attributes directly.

You could also use "dump-0.4b40" (or later) to do a hybrid device/file
level backup.  It will back up the filesystem directly from the block device,
but only the files that are in use.  Versions 0.4b40+ can also do the
backup/restore of extended attributes, which is critical.

> 3) File-level on LVM snapshots
>
> LVM allows you to make a duplication of the MDT while lustre file system
> is operational, so you can make afterwards a File-level backup of the
> LVM snapshot while everything is running. Then it IS SUITABLE for an
> automated backup.
> Disadvantages are that you need extra local space for LVM snapshots and
> the impact on performance of using LVM over the MDT.

This is probably the best option.  It allows consistent backups to be
done, and if you only keep a single snapshot the performance hit isn't
too big.

> By the way. The procedure described at 'How do I replace an OST or MDS?'
> in Apendix B of Lustre Operational Manual differs from procedure
> discribed at 15.1.3.1 (Backing Up an MDS File):
> - getfattr -R -d -m '.*' -P . > ea.bak
> - getfattr -R -e base64 -d . > /tmp/mdsea

I would say the first one is better, though I like to use "-e hex"
instead of "-e base64" because the hex output is easier for me to
decode if I need to for some reason.  Probably the "replace an OST/MDT"
chapter should just reference the backup/restore section instead of
duplicating the content.