[Lustre-discuss] Benchmarking lustre with iozone

Christopher J.Walker C.J.Walker at qmul.ac.uk
Fri Jun 19 04:32:03 PDT 2009

I've run some benchmarks on our Lustre setup using iozone, but have
stopped before reaching the full potential of our storage due to
problems with iozone.

Iozone seems to hang occasionally. Looking at the source, it looks like
it uses UDP packets to tell our worker nodes to start and stop the
benchmarks. With debugging turned on, I saw one packet missing in the
output when it had hung. Unfortunately, on a network I'm saturating with
lustre traffic, the odd packet UDP packet is bound to get lost...

The iozone author has suggested building a timing network to address
this problem - but I can't justify the time and expense to do this.

Does anybody have a patch to fix this?

Chris
--
Dr Christopher J. Walker