[Lustre-discuss] RAID stripe width

Carlos Santana neubyr at gmail.com
Wed Jun 24 07:57:58 PDT 2009

Hi,

What is stripe width? The lustre manual says,  <stripe_width> =
<chunk_size> * ( <disks> - <parity_disks> ) <=1 MB. I am completely
new to this field and I was looking for some RAID documentation
online. Some people have mentioned that stripe width is the number of
parallel stripes that can be written to or read from simultaneously -
this equals number of disks in an array. Some thing is wrong with my
understanding or interpretation of stripe width. Any elaboration on
this and also on MTF and repair time calculation given in the manual?
Any good guide on RAID?

Thanks,
CS.