[Lustre-discuss] MGS - one per site

Andreas Dilger adilger at sun.com
Fri Jun 26 13:05:02 PDT 2009

On Jun 26, 2009  10:52 -0500, Carlos Santana wrote:
> Can a lustre file system have more than one MGS? Isn't it only one per
> site? I saw some examples where target type mgs was mentioned during
> mkfs.lustre for MDS and OSS nodes. Is it correct and when is it used?

It makes sense generally to have a single MGS per site for multiple
filesystems, because if clients are mounting more than one filesystem
they can only communicate with a single MGS at a time.

In some cases there will of course be a need for multiple MGSes in
a single site (e.g. secure and open networks), which is fine as long
as clients don't try to mount from multiple MGSes at once.

Sr. Staff Engineer, Lustre Group
Sun Microsystems of Canada, Inc.