[Lustre-discuss] Job fails opening 24k files and keeps them open during execution

Osvaldo Rentas oz at terascala.com
Wed Mar 4 13:27:29 PST 2009

Hello,

I am working with a user that has  Fortran code that opens 24.000 files and keeps them open during execution.  We had to adjust our kernel parameters to allow this to happen, since Linux cuts you off at 1024 by default.  This is job runs successfully for him on the local disk of a Linux machine, but when he moves the job to Lustre, it fails.  The metadata servers are running Red Hat …do they impose their own user limitations as well?  Or is there a limitation within Lustre or a config file?

Thanks in advance,

Oz

Checked by AVG.