[Lustre-discuss] OSS and MDS sizing

Sebastian Gutierrez sebastian.gutierrez at cs.stanford.edu
Thu Mar 5 18:25:38 PST 2009

Hello
I am looking for advice or suggestions on specking the MDS and OSS for a
new file system I am building.

The IO patterns as have been explained to me are jobs that either create a
big mpeg file or thousands of about 100kb frames for video.
This could grow to hundreds of thousands of 100k files.

I have specked
2 MDS for a cluster
8x300GB SAS 15k drives for the MDT in a raid 10(I used raid 10 because
they were going to have small files and I was trying to mitigate the MDT
becoming a bottleneck with many small files)
2x300GB SAS 15k drives for the MGS in a raid 1
1xHostpare
32gb 800mhz ram
3.0 or 2.5 dual quad core procs

4 OSS servers
16GB 667mhz ram
2.5 ghz dual quad core procs
6x1TB SATA 3 7.2k disks 5TB OST in a raid 5 (possibly running software raid)
expandable to 2 5TB OSTs Per OSS
1xHotspare

Since this is the first Lustre file system I am building.  I noticed the
sizing page:
http://manual.lustre.org/manual/LustreManual16_HTML/SystemLimits.html#50548887_46859

The document mentions only dual core procs in regards to the MDS.

The document also mentions a much lower amount of system RAM required for
the OST.

Am I wasting resources here by over specking these boxes or is it a good
idea to over spec a bit?

Am I on the right track as far as specking for the IO pattern that will be
placed on the file system?

Thanks
Sebastian