[Lustre-discuss] [ROMIO Req #940] [Fwd: Re: [Lustre-devel] a new Lustre ADIO driver]

Robert Latham robl at mcs.anl.gov
Fri Mar 13 08:46:03 PDT 2009

Hi LiuYing and everyone else.

Thanks for the improvements to this patch set.  I looked over them
quickly and it looks OK to me.  I have committed this patch as
revision 4055 in our trunk, and it will be part of the next MPICH2
beta release (which is likely to happen in the next week or so).

I have two favors to ask of any other MPI-IO on Lustre users.

First favor: please try this out on as many parallel workloads and as
many Lustre deployments as possible.   ROMIO has other file systems we
can't test at ANL: we rely on contributors to maintain those drivers.

You might be able to just replace the romio/ directory in your
MPICH2-1.0.8 tarball with an SVN checkout

svn co https://svn.mcs.anl.gov/repos/mpi/mpich2/trunk/src/mpi/romio

I know this patch was against MPICH2-1.0.7, but it applied cleanly
against 1.0.8, due largely to how self-contained everything is -- most
changed files were in the ad_lustre directory.

These lustre patches (first from Weikuan, second from Sun) are
sizeable hunks of code, and hard to review properly.  From here out,
I hope that you will not be shy about sending further patches back
"upstream" to us.

Second favor: documentation... Can you send me a brief summary of the
new hints?

romio_lustre_CO
romio_lustre_bigsize
romio_lustre_ds_in_coll
romio_lustre_contig_data
romio_lustre_samesize
romio_lustre_start_iodevice

I know I for one am looking forward to improved MPI-IO performance
on Lustre.  Thank you for the contribution.

==rob

--
Rob Latham