[Lustre-discuss] mismatching versions between kernel and client

Mon Mar 23 09:18:01 PDT 2009

On Mon, 2009-03-23 at 09:06 -0700, Shi Jin wrote:
> Thank you very much.

You are welcome.

> I actually wanted to build the lustre module for my kernel. But when I tried to download the lustre-source, the RPM comes with is a specific kernel version associated with it. Is it OK for me to download the source where the kernel version from the file name is different from the kernel version I am using?

Indeed, it is.  That brings up an interesting point in the naming of the
lustre-source RPM though.  I will give this some thought.

> Specifically, shall I get  lustre-client-source-1.6.7-2.6.16.60_0.31_lustre.1.6.7_bigsmp.i686.rpm? (but its kernel version does not match mine) Or shall I get  rhel5-i686-client-lustre-1.6.7.tar.gz (is it different from sles10-i686-client-lustre-1.6.7.tar.gz?)? Does rhel5 covers all minor version changes such as rhel5.3?

You should get the lustre-source rpm that most closely matches your
kernel, which IIRC was a RHEL5 kernel, so get the lustre-source for the
2.6.18-whatever kernel.

> Thank you very much for your help.

NP.

b.