[Lustre-discuss] Delete file entries from Metadata server

Wed Mar 25 05:28:57 PDT 2009

On Wed, 2009-03-25 at 07:56 -0400, Mag Gam wrote:
> Thankyou.
>
> I will try to recover them. I would have to wait for the weekend to do
> that because I can't afford to down a OST during work hours....

Two thing I would mention to this are:

     A. if your OSTs were LVM LVs, you could take a snapshot and at
        least get started on trying to find out where files should be
        moved when you can afford to take the OST down and
     B. you can always interrogate a live OST with debugfs (in read-only
        mode, which is the default mode IIRC)

Both of these methods would allow you to get a head start on the work
prior to needing the down time and should result in a shorter down-time.

Obviously using an LVM snapshot would be more efficient/effective than
using debugfs to dump files out of the filesystem for examination.
Although I have often wondered about a fuse-debugfs filesystem, but I
digress.  I guess my point is simply that creating Lustre targets on LVs
provides future flexibility even if it's not clear today why you might
want to do that.

Cheers,
b.